Skiing Class 5:
Required to Pass: Skier can perform advanced linked, wedge Christies (a match before the fall line with a skidded finish) with a pole touch down the entire 5 hill. Speed control must be achieved through turn shape emphasizing a narrow wedge and slight directional extension/flexion through the turns. Note: Body and ankles must move in direction of new turn.
1. Review lift procedures and class 4 maneuvers (linked Wedge Christie turns, etc.)
2. Review Responsibility Code
3. Review balanced athletic stance to be maintained throughout the entire turn
4. Introduce pole touch as timing device for the match
5. Practice and improve uphill Christies, garlands, lateral and forward side-slipping emphasizing flexion & extension movements toward direction of turn.
6. Perform controlled, advanced, linked, wedge Christies (match before the fall line with a skidded finish) using a pole touch
7. Speed control must be achieved through turn shape emphasizing a slight, quick wedge opening and directional extension/flexion through the turns
8. Body and ankles must move in the direction of the turn
9. Fun quality mileage
Teaching Aids: skating, big toe & little toe, ankle role, hockey stop, fan progression, J-turns, C-turns, thumpers, 1000 steps, shuffle turns