SNOWBOARD CLASS 1 "Intro to a new sport"
Terrain: Lodge Base Area Lift: Walk, Skate, & Climb
Required to Pass: Boarder can walk, climb, and perform Heel & Toe J-turns to a Stop with back foot out. Boarder has been introduced to safe practices.
Topics to Cover (Keep it Fun & Create Excitement for the Sport)
1. Introduction, Basic equipment orientation, Board carry and storage
2. Mtn. Safety, Rider Responsibility Code (See Card)
3. Strapping in & out, Reg/Goofy check, Equipment check
4. (Both Feet In) Introduce Athletic stance, Falling & Getting up
5. Have fun with Balance Movements: Jump, Jump & Spin 180, Tail & Nose Press, Balance on the edges, Twist, Tilt, Pivot & Pressure the board (Simon Says, Find the limits of balance) Return to an athletic stance
6. W/Back Foot Out: Walk, Skate, Glide, & Climb (Follow the leader)
7. Straight glide with natural or uphill runout - Shoulders/hips/board parallel
8. Heel & toe "J" turns to a Stop (Back Foot Out) A centered Athletic stance helps ensure enough weight is on the front foot. Press the toe or heel of the front foot into the snow to steer. (Squish a snowball)
(Look where you want to go, steer the ship (knee), Superman) *Encourage patience, letting the board and lower-body do the work.
BONUS: Do Straight Glide and J-Turns with Both feet in. Learn Handle Tow